Dentists are very important especially in providing oral healthcare and they deliver preventive and restorative treatments for problems disturbing teeth and mouth. In today’s medical practices and professions, dentistry emerges as one of the popular professions. They are commonly found working in hospital dentistry, privately owned dentistry office or work as a self-employed, community dental offices, military, dental research centers and educational institutions.
Many people do not value the importance of a dentist, may be because they are afraid and they don’t want to spend their money. They don’t see how important the oral health from their youth and when they get older, that’s the time they go to the dentist to have their oral health be examined and treated. People should see a dentist at least once or twice a year. This will help you to maximize the health of your mouth and teeth.
Considering that you do a regular checkup with your oral health, you need a patient-doctor good relationship. For you not to be afraid and feel comfortable and for the dentist, he can perform all alternative procedures that you will need without string attached. This is where family dentist is needed. You should have a family dentist so that he will be able to know your background and all the data from previous treatment and prevention where if problems occur in the long run, the dentist will know what to do.
Below are some practices of the dental family does:
- Teaching and enlightening patients about oral healthcare.
- Diagnosing and examining patient’s dental condition through different tools available such as x-rays and dental imaging software.
- Creating and assessing option for treatment plans with the patient.
- Informing patients on the prevention on dental conditions and keep their mouth and teeth as fit as possible.
- Maintaining and preserving patient’s dental registers.
- Carrying out agreed on a treatment such as treating gum disease as well as repairing and restoring teeth damaged by decay.
- Keep their equipment clean and functional.
- Monitor and assess any x-rays pictures of patient’s oral cavity.
- Keeping up-to-date with improvements in your field.
- Ongoing training and studying to have an updated procedures and treatments.
- Refers patient to an orthodontist or other dental specialist for more advanced treatment and procedures if necessary. Dentists should have skills that are necessary for their job and to their patient:
- He should possess a good communication skill to let your patient understand what you are talking and explain to them in plain words as much as possible.
- He should be patience in dealing patients; for some clients are irate.
- Have a methodical and thorough approach.
- Ability and capability to work long hour if possible because often they are under pressure.
- Team-working ability and ability as well as good ethical foundation.